With over three decades of expertise in the field of Breast Imaging and Radiology, Dr. Georgian-Smith offers valuable insight in her role as a Radiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. As a global leader and internationally known referral center for complex cases in medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital prides itself in improving the lives of the community while maintaining a legacy of excellence. The Brigham and Women’s Department of Radiology provides the complete range of diagnostic imaging and interventional services integrated with services provided by the clinical departments of the Brigham and Women’s Healthcare network.
Board Certified in Radiology by the American Board of Radiology, Dr. Georgian-Smith’s day-to-day responsibilities as a Radiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital include clinical work, teaching residents and fellows, and conducting research in the field of Breast Imaging.
Following graduation with her medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1983, Dr. Georgian-Smith completed a residency at Cleveland Clinic Foundation in 1988. In 1989, she pursued a fellowship in Diagnostic Radiology at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and holds a Diagnostic Radiology Certification. Additionally, Dr. Georgian-Smith is an Accreditation Reviewer for ACR in Mammography and Breast Ultrasound.
Dr. Georgian-Smith maintains membership with The American Roentgen Ray Society, The Society of Breast Imaging, Radiological Society of North America, and The American College of Radiology. She is a Fellow of the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI) and Fellow of the American College of Radiology (ACR).
Looking back, Dr. Georgian-Smith attributes her success to the late Dr. William E. Shiels, DO, pediatric radiologist, who “created” the turkey breast model. Together, they formed a team to teach freehand invasive sonography to hundreds of radiologists, upon which Dr. Georgian-Smith started her academic career almost thirty years ago (https://www.rsna.org/News.aspx?id=17928). Initially fascinated by the field of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Georgian-Smith chose Medicine due to the desire to study breast imaging and radiology.
Due to her commitment to the excellence in the field of Medicine, Dr. Georgian-Smith has been the recipient of the following honors: Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Scientific Exhibit Awards (1991, 1992, 2009) and Education Exhibit (2011& 2012), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS) – 1994-1995, 2004; The International Health and Medical Film Festival Finalist in 1994 and Best in Category FREDDIE Award in 1995.
Currently, Dr. Georgian-Smith is conducting research in the field of Visual Perception, collaborating with Jerome Wolfe, PhD (Visual Attention Lab- BWH) and Patrick Brennan, PhD at University of Sydney, Australia.
Beyond her research accomplishments, Dr. Georgian-Smith is recognized for her role in the Turkey Breast Model, which is a simulation model that shaped her career. She co-authored the book with pathologist Dr. Thomas Lawton, Breast Imaging and Pathologic Correlation: A Pattern-Based Approach (Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA, 2014), a book designed to bridge the ACR BIRADS ® lexicon with histopathology.
Some notable positions Dr. Georgian-Smith has held in her career includes serving as an Associate Professor of Radiology at Harvard Medical School, Clinical Associate Professor of Radiology at Boston Medical School, and Visiting Professor in Medical Radiation Sciences within the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Australia.
Considering the future, Dr. Georgian-Smith hopes to continue research and growth in the field of Radiology.
Share this entry
Radiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Brigham Health is a global leader, devoted to maintaining and restoring health for people everywhere. Brigham Health is composed of Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, and Brigham and Women’s Physicians Organization.
- Our clinicians and researchers collaborate across many disciplines and specialties, passionately committed to delivering breakthroughs that help people everywhere. This culture of innovation and discovery underpins all we do.
- Our focus is on developing exciting new ways to keep people in optimal health and fight diseases that threaten their well-being.
- Brigham Health offers access to information, education and care through multiple locations, national and international affiliates, and virtual programs. However, or wherever, people connect with Brigham Health we strive to deliver powerful, seamless experiences and new approaches to maintaining and improving health.
- Stereotactic core needle breast biopsy marker migration: An analysis of factors contributing to immediate marker migration.2017. PubMed
- In the digital era, architectural distortion remains a challenging radiological task.2016. PubMed
- Number of mammography cases read per year is a strong predictor of sensitivity.2014. PubMed
- Positioning in breast MR imaging to optimize image quality.2014. PubMed
- What radiologists need to know about diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory breast cancer: a multidisciplinary approach.2013. PubMed
- The gist of the abnormal: above-chance medical decision making in the blink of an eye. 2013. PubMed