The American Health Council has cordially appointed Dr. Donna Woods, Ed.M., Ph.D., as “Best in Medicine” in recognition of her extensive contributions to the industry over the course of her 16 year career.
Dr. Donna Woods has truly excelled both in her academic and professional endeavors; having graduated from Harvard University with her Ed.M. in 1987 and from Brandeis University with her Ph.D. in 1987. With specific expertise in education, research and patient care, Dr. Woods became involved in her current profession after being recruited to the role of quality advisor in Massachusetts, before receiving her Ph.D., where she started building quality measures.
For the past six years, Dr. Woods has held the esteemed position of Professor at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine; a research-intensive medical school that fosters powerful collaborations on a thriving academic medical campus. Feinberg School of Medicine offers a premier medical education and top-notch research programs in large part because of the expertise, experience, and dedication of its faculty. They offer various graduate research programs, including an M.D./M.M. program, which grants a doctor of medicine degree and a master of management degree through the Kellogg Graduate School of Management in five years, and a 27-month long physical therapy program. Feinberg School of Medicine is home to over 600 medical students and is ranked 17th in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for research-focused medical schools. With a mission to impact the practice of medicine though discovery and education, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine will continue to create a rich and vibrant working and learning environment where knowledge is created and shared.
Working across a wide range of areas including; pediatric safety, team work, healthcare communication, research design and management, ADHD outcomes, bata collection and analyses, Dr. Woods’ day to day responsibilities include research on Healthcare quality and safety within Pediatrics, Geriatric Falls, Surgery, and ADHD work.
Amongst her many accomplishments, she is particularly proud of being the recipient of the 2016 Outstanding Teaching Award from Northwestern University, the 2007 Award for Best Quality Project from Northwestern Memorial Hospital, the 2006 Award for Recognition in Patient Safety Award from the Institute of Medicine, the 2006 Award for Most Outstanding Abstract Award from AcademyHealth during the 2006 Annual Research Meeting and the 2003 Award for Most Outstanding Abstract Award by AcademyHealth during the 2003 Annual Research Meeting Association of Public Health. In addition, Dr. Woods has been honored as a recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award by AcademyHealth in 2021.
Looking back at her impressive career, Dr. Woods attributes her success to her dedication to the research and changes needed in her profession, alongside the guidance of her mentors – Dr. Kevin Weiss, Dr. Eric Thomas at UT Houston, Jane Hall, and Stewart Atton. Dr Woods’ goals within the next 5 years include the continuation of growth and increasing visibility of her work.
When not busy working, Dr. Woods enjoys traveling as well as partaking in social justice work. Additionally, whenever possible, Dr. Woods volunteers at Greater Chicago Food Depository, the Jewish Community in Uganda and various Veteran organizations.
Professor at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
- Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine is a research-intensive medical school that fosters powerful collaborations on a thriving academic medical campus. Feinberg School of Medicine offers a premier medical education and top-notch research programs in large part because of the expertise, experience, and dedication of its faculty.
- Feinberg School of Medicine is home to over 600 medical students and is ranked 17th in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for research-focused medical schools.
Professional Awards & Honors
- 2007: Award Recipient, Best Quality Project, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- 2006: Award Recipient, Recognition in Patient Safety Award, Institute of Medicine
- 2006: Award Recipient, Most Outstanding Abstract Award, AcademyHealth 2006 Annual Research Meeting
- 2003: Award Recipient, Most Outstanding Abstract Award, AcademyHealth 2003 Annual Research Meeting
- 2021: Award Recipient, Lifetime Achievement Award, AcademyHealth