The American Health Council is proud to honor J. Philip Boudreaux, MD as “Best in Medicine” for his outstanding contributions to the medical field. Currently the Professor of Surgery at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine in New Orleans, La., Dr. J. Philip Boudreaux educates medical students and provides high-quality care to patients. While he has held that role for over 12 years, he has spent the last 38 years expanding his knowledge and skills in liver, pancreas, kidney transplantation, organ donation, hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery, radio frequency ablation of liver tumors, neuroendocrine tumors and carcinoids.
After earning a bachelor’s degree in microbiology with Magna Cum Laude honors from Louisiana State University (LSU) in 1974, he enrolled in the university’s School of Medicine and earned a medical degree in 1978. He immediately began an internship in the Pediatrics Department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., and after competing that in 1979, he began a residency in general surgery at LSU. While completing his residency, Dr. Boudreaux finished a pediatric surgery research fellowship at the Pittsburg Children’s Hospital in 1982. After finishing his residency in 1984, he immediately began an organ transplantation immunology fellowship at the University of Minnesota. Once he completed the fellowship in 1986, Dr. Boudreaux began using his skills and knowledge to improve his patients’ quality of life.
Remaining faithful to the institution that educated him, Dr. Boudreaux began working at LSU Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, where he now treats patients, provides diagnosis, performs transplant surgeries and operates a multi-specialty tumor clinic. Dr. Boudreaux is credited on LSU’s website as having instituted the liver and pancreas transplant programs at the institution and as initiating the liver and kidney transplant programs at Children’s Hospital in New Orleans. Board certified in surgery and critical care — and holding a specialty certificate in transplant immunology — Dr. Boudreaux’s comprehensive medical training has led him to become an esteemed member of the LSU Health Sciences Center School of Medicine faculty.
Dr. Boudreaux has spoken publicly at a variety of conferences and educated residents regarding transplant and other related topics. He has published over 50 peer-reviewed publications throughout his career, a feat he is very proud to have accomplished. His skills and brilliance led him to receive The Southern Surgical Association Award in 2003, the 20 Year Service Award and the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) in 1996. Among his many achievements, Dr. Boudreaux is most proud to have helped rebuild the practice LSU/Ochsner-Kenner New Orleans Neuroendocrine Tumor Specialists from the ground up after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans in 2005.
To ensure that he remains connected with peers — as well as share his knowledge and medical expertise — Dr. Boudreaux is a member of the Southern Surgical Association, the American College of Surgeons, the North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society, the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, The Transplantation Society, the International Liver Transplant Society, the American Society of Transplantation, the Society of Critical Care Medicine, the American Medical Association, the Southwestern Surgical Society, the Southeastern Surgical Society, the Southern Medical Association, the Orleans Parish Medical Society, the Trauma/EMS Committee, the New Orleans Surgical Society, the Louisiana State Medical Society, the Louisiana Surgical Society, the James D. Rives Surgical Society and the Medical Amateur Radio Council. He is also a member of the Louisiana Organ Procurement Agency.
In his free time, Dr. Boudreaux enjoys sailing, playing music, fishing, listening to the radio and teaching. He attributes his achievements to his education and his work ethic. He plans to continue to maintain his status as an esteemed physician by continuing to expand the practice by adding a number of surgeons.
Share this entry
Professor of Surgery at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
- Louisiana State university School of Medicine – New Orleans educates medical students, residents, and other learners in an environment that nurtures intellectual curiosity, and reflects the diversity of its community.
- The School of Medicine, striving for excellence in medical education, clinically relevant research, and healthcare delivery, partners with other LSUHSC schools, local healthcare systems, and community organizations, to provide a strong and supportive environment for learners and their faculty.
- The School of Medicine promotes excellence in healthcare delivery through relationships with our clinical partners and our community.
Chairman, Department of Surgery at Ochsner-Kenner Medical Center
- As one of the largest non-university-based physician training centers in the US, Ochsner-Kenner Medical Center serves as the largest nonprofit healthcare delivery system in Southeast Louisiana.
- Affiliated with more than sixty health centers and twenty-eight local hospitals, Ochsner offers the best quality of healthcare through collaborations with clinicians and scientists to utilize innovations and bring about medical discoveries.
Sources: Ochsner-Kenner Medical Center
- Southern Surgical Association
- American College of Surgeons
- North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- The Transplantation Society
- International Liver Transplant Society
- American Society of Transplantation
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Medical Association
- Southwestern Surgical Society
- Southeastern Surgical Society
- Southern Medical Association
- Orleans Parish Medical Society
- Trauma/EMS Committee
- New Orleans Surgical Society
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Louisiana Surgical Society
- James D. Rives Surgical Society
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- American Hepatopancreatic Biliary Association
- American Association of Endocrine Surgery
- The Cohn-Rives Surgical Society – Current President
- Numerous invited lectures, Grand Rounds at other Medical School, presentations at Regional and National Conferences.