The American Health Council has warmly welcomed Dr. Joan C. Wojak, MD, FACR, FSIR, FAHA as “Best in Medicine.” With affiliations in six regional hospitals, Dr. Wojak specializes in diagnostic and interventional radiology and is has been recognized for her achievements within the healthcare sector over the past twenty years.
Dr. Wojak embarked on her medical career in 1975 at Princeton University, and graduated with an AB degree in Chemistry in 1979. She went onto the New York University School of Medicine and received her medical degree in 1983. Joan’s internship and first medical residency was completed at the NYU Langone Medical Center, and her radiology residency at Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans, where she also completed a fellowship in diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology. She is Board Certified in Radiology and for a subspecialty in Neuroradiology.
Since, Dr. Wojak has spent over twenty years practicing medicine and is affiliated with six regional hospitals, including Abbeville General Hospital, the Regional Medical Center of Acadiana, the Heart Hospital of Lafayette and Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center, as well as several university hospitals and clinics. In her capacity with these hospitals, she specializes in balloon angioplasty and stenting, angiography, vertebral augmentation and aneurysm coiling, and deals with conditions such as intracranial arteriosclerosis, carotid artery disease, stroke, cerebral aneurysm and spinal fractures.
Dr. Wojak is the former Medical Director of Radiology at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital at Lafayette and the Heart Hospital of Lafayette, and former president of the Acadiana Radiology Group, which provides radiology services to six hospitals in and around Lafayette, Louisiana. She currently serves as Medical Director of Radiology at Abbeville General Hospital, and as Clinical Associate Professor of Radiology at Louisiana State University School of Medicine.
Dr. Wojak’s expertise and dedication to the field of radiology has attracted the acclaim of many professional bodies. She was twice presented the Mike Brothers Award for Best Interventional Neuroradiology Paper at the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR) conferences in both 1998 and 2005. She was recently featured in top medical publication Leading Physicians of the World, having been selected by the International Association of Healthcare Professionals.
Dr. Wojak maintains affiliations with a number of renowned medical associations. She serves as a fellow of the American College of Radiology, the Society of Interventional Radiology and the American Heart Association Stroke Council and is a senior member of the American Society of Neuroradiology and The Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery. In addition to her affiliations, she is celebrated for her many contributions to medical journals and publications. Her research and writings have been published over thirty-five times, including ‘Interventional Radiology, Strategies, Practice and Technique’, which she co-authored with Dr. J.J. Connors. She focuses her research efforts on treatment of stroke and intracranial arteriosclerosis disease.
Dr. Wojak dedicates most of her working time to treating patients at the Acadiana Radiology Group hospitals, and the rest to teaching commitments. Outside of work, she has an eclectic range of interests. A committed competitive rider of hunter and jumper horses, and breeder of thoroughbred horses, Joan is passionate about equestrianism and stamp collecting, and an avid reader of science fiction.
Share this entry
Medical Director of Radiology at Abbeville General Hospital
- Abbeville General Hospital is a 60-bed acute care hospital committed to providing quality healthcare to the community and surrounding areas.
- The facility is a modern, completely equipped and staffed to provide our patients with a full spectrum of modern technology, procedures and treatments, as well as comprehensive specialized care.
- AGH is a fully licensed and accredited hospital that meets all requirements of the State of Louisiana and the Joint Commission.
Clinical Associate Professor of Radiology at Louisiana State University School of Medicine.
- The mission of the LSUHSC Department of Radiology is to build and maintain an academic radiology program that encourages diversity and excellence in faculty, residents, and staff in order to provide state of the art radiologic care to patients, excellence in the education of students, residents, and fellows, and support for scholarly activity, including research.
- The dedicated academic faculty members are committed to providing the Radiology Residents with the finest Radiology Education available.
Source: LSUHSC Department of Radiology
Former Medical Director of Radiology at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
- The hospital employs more than 2,200 people and offers a physician staff of over 600 doctors in a variety of medical and surgical specialties. Lourdes’ services include Centers of Excellence in the areas of Orthopedics, Stroke and a Robotics Surgery Program.
- The hospital is home to the only burn unit in Southwest Louisiana and a Commission on Cancer accredited oncology program.
- Our Lady of Lourdes operates Our Lady of Lourdes Heart Hospital, a premier 32-bed cardiac facility and Our Lady of Lourdes Women’s & Children’s Hospital offering the area’s only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Level 3 Surgical Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. With additional services including multiple clinics, four imaging locations and a primary care physician network, Lourdes provides easy access to comprehensive care throughout the community.
Source: Our Lady of Lourdes
Former President of the Acadiana Radiology Group
- Acadiana Radiology Group (ARG) is a Lafayette based group practice that provides professional radiology services to healthcare facilities across the Acadiana area.
Source: Acadiana Radiolgoy Group