The American Health Council has cordially appointed Dr. John Chelico as “Best in Medicine.” Having worked in his current role for 5 years, Dr. Chelico is an expert in the field of Healthcare Education and Workforce Development.
Keen to progress academically, Dr. Chelico completed his Bachelors of Science in Medicine in 1999 at New York University and his Masters in Medicine at Columbia University. Following on from these achievements, he continued his studies at the State University of New York – Downstate Medical Center, achieving his Doctorate of Medicine in 2003.
Dr. Chelico has been serving in his current role at Northwell Health for the past 5 years. Northwell Health is the largest integrated health system in New York and the 14th largest healthcare system in the United States. The health system focuses on improving the health of the community, providing the highest quality of clinical care, while educating the next generation of healthcare professionals. Northwell Health ensures patients are highly satisfied and receive affordable care through the constant use of scientific and clinical research.
Dr. Chelico feels incredibly fortunate that his role in medicine has enabled him to teach at the NYU School of Medicine, thus strengthening the future of the medical field. On a daily basis, Dr. Chelico evaluates the organization’s IT systems, applies EMR/HER software and leverages both medical and health data.
Throughout the course of his impressive career, Dr. Chelico has gained expertise in health information technology and healthcare data warehousing. The esteemed doctor has also furthered his knowledge by becoming Fellowship Trained in Medical Informatics.
To broaden his knowledge in his field, Dr. Chelico is affiliated with a number of professional associations including The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM), the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS), the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS), the American College of Physicians (ACP) and the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA).
Dr. Chelico has also had the honor of being appointed to the Physician High Potential Leadership Program at North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System. To add to this, he had the privilege of achieving the Healthcare’s Most Wired Award from the American Hospital Association for Long Island Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital. Dr. Chelico is also an Elected Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
Away from work, Dr. Chelico spends his time helping charitable organisations such as Syriac Orthodox Church. He also is fluent in Arabic and Turkish. In the future, he hopes to continue his work educating others to ensure the medical profession is developed to its full potential.
Share this entry
Vice President, Chief Informatics & Innovation Officer at Northwell Health
- Focused on improving the health of the community, Northwell Health System makes it a point to provide the highest quality of clinical care while educating the next generation of healthcare professionals.
- As a healthcare leader committed to excellence, compassion and improving the health of the community, Northwell Health insures patients are highly satisfied and receive affordable care by constant use of advanced disease-oriented, basic scientific and clinical research.
Source: Northwell Health
Professional Awards and Honors
- North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System
Appointed to Physician High Potential Leadership Program
- American Hospital Association
Healthcare’s Most Wired Award – Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- American Hospital Association
Healthcare’s Most Wired Award – North Shore University Hospital
- American College of Physicians
- Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM)
- Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)