The American Health Council has warmly welcomed Dr. John Ellena, MD., as “Best in Medicine.” Working in the healthcare industry for 29 years, Dr. Ellena is an expert in the field of Internal Medicine and demonstrates an excellent willingness to continue learning and sharing his knowledge.
As a child, Dr. Ellena’s sister was sick with Lupus so he would spend a lot of his time at the hospital with her. Whilst there, he saw the incredible work doctors performed and this inspired him to want to pursue a career in medicine. In order to become a doctor, Dr. Ellena went on to study for his Medical Doctorate at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and graduated with his MD in 1983. Following this, he completed his Residency at St. Louis Washington University.
After education, Dr. Ellena’s began his career as a medical professional and has amassed substantial knowledge and experience over the past 29 years. He has worked as a Professor for 29 years as well as a Medical Director for the past 15 years. Dr. Ellena’s daily responsibilities are split into two, 60% of his day is spent performing clinical duties with the other 40% spent completing administrative duties. He oversees compliance and quality projects, provides patient care and also provides education.
Currently, Dr. Ellena serves as Medical Director at BJC Medical Group. The organization has more than 500 doctors and specialists who care for thousands of people every day. With over 100 locations in greater St. Louis, mid-Missouri and southern Illinois, there is always a BJC doctor close by. They provide access to the world’s best medicine through caring people and integrated systems dedicated to exceptional patient experiences.
Over the past 29 years, Dr. Ellena has enjoyed a very successful career. As the proud recipient of the Regional Top Doctor award in 2014 by Castle Connolly, Dr. Ellena feels honoured to have been teaching medical students and residents for nearly three decades as an Associate Professor at Washington University.
Reflecting on his career to date, Dr. Ellena attributes his successes to his hardwork and truly enjoying his career. In order to continue to learn and keep up to date with relevant developments within his sector, Dr. Ellena is a member of several professional organizations including the American Medical Association and the American College of Physicians.
Looking to the future, Dr. Ellena is planning to continue the work he is performing. He very much enjoys his career and will continue to grow as a physician at this practice.
When not at work, Dr. Ellena enjoys traveling, skiing, and reading fiction and nonfiction books. Additionally, he actively volunteers for charitable organization, United Way.
Share this entry
Medical Director at BJC Medical Group
- BJC Medical Group has more than 500 doctors and specialists who care for thousands of people every day.
- With over 100 locations in greater St. Louis, mid- Missouri and southern Illinois, BJC Medical Group provides access to the world’s best medicine through caring people and integrated systems dedicated to exceptional patient experiences.
Source: BJC Medical Group