Dr. Kelly Keefe has been welcomed as “Best in Medicine” by the American Health Council in recognition of her impressive work within the field of Ophthalmology over the course of three decades.
Dr. Kelly Keefe first became interested in pursuing a role in healthcare after spending some time working in a nursing home at a young age. This led her embark on a period of medical studies which included an MD from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, where she graduated in 1985, followed by an internship in Internal Medicine at the Naval Hospital, a residency in Ophthalmology at the Naval Medical Center and a fellowship in Ophthalmic Pathology at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. Furthermore, Dr. Keefe is board certified in Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Pathology.
Having worked 32 years within the healthcare industry, Dr. Keefe is now Surgeon and Ophthalmologist at Kelly S. Keefe, MD, Inc. Established in San Diego, California, Kelly S. Keefe, MD, Inc. is a private practice which provides exceptional ophthalmological care to the Hillcrest region and beyond. The services available include general ophthalmology (eye exams, glaucoma care, diabetic eye care), oculoplastic, contact lenses, eye glasses, refractive cataract surgery and much more. Dr. Keefe prides herself in the preservation, restoration, and enhancement of vision for everyone.
Dr. Keefe’s expertise lies in medicine, cataract surgery, oculoplastic surgery, ocular tumors and comprehensive ophthalmology. On a daily basis, her responsibilities include seeing patients, performing ocular surgery, pathology tissue interpretation and duties as a faculty member and mentor for Loma Linda Medical Center.
Dr. Keefe attributes her success to internal hunger, as well as support from her husband and colleagues in the Navy. She is proud to have served in the United States Navy for 26 years, retiring at the rank of captain, and to have received a 2006/2007 Navy Commendation Medal. She proudly holds the faculty positions and academic appointments at a number of institutions including: Loma Linda University Medical Center; Naval Hospital, San Diego; University of Texas, San Antonio Health Sciences Center; Naval Hospital, Bethesda; Brooke Army Medical Center; and Wilford Hall Air Force Hospital. Dr. Keefe is also honored to have partaken in medical missions to Guatemala with HELPS International.
Dr. Keefe is a member of a number of professional associations, including: Scripps Mercy Physicians Medical Group; American Medical Association; American Academy of Ophthalmology; American Association of the Ophthalmic Pathologists; Society of Military Ophthalmologists; Theobald Ophthalmic Pathology Society; Hogan Ophthalmic Pathology Society; San Diego County Eye Society; and San Diego Eye Bank
Over the next five years, Dr. Keefe’s plans to continue serving as an educator on ophthalmic pathology and as an educator in third world countries. She is honored to have her husband, Dr. Michael Keefe and their three children supporting her in her career.
When not at work, Dr. Keefe enjoys gourmet cooking, gardening, caring for her multiple pets and running. She also works with the San Diego City Schools Nurses’ Vision Program.
Share this entry
Surgeon & Ophthalmologist at Kelly S. Keefe, MD, Inc.
- Established in San Diego, California, Kelly S. Keefe, MD, Inc. is a private practice that has been providing exceptional ophthalmological care to the Hillcrest region and beyond.
- Dr. Keefe prides herself in the preservation, restoration, and enhancement of vision for everyone.
- Proud to have served in the United States Navy for 26 years and to have retired as a captain. She is proud to have held the following faculty positions and academic appointments at the following institutions: Loma Linda University Medical Center; Naval Hospital, San Diego; University of Texas, San Antonio Health Sciences Center; Naval Hospital, Bethesda; Brooke Army Medical Center; and Wilford Hall Air Force Hospital.
Professional Awards & Honors
- 2006/2007 Navy Commendation Metal
- Scripps Mercy Physicians Medical Group
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Association of the Ophthalmic Pathologists
- Society of Military Ophthalmologists
- Theobald Ophthalmic Pathology Society
- Hogan Ophthalmic Pathology Society
- San Diego County Eye Society
- San Diego Eye Bank