Dr. Luay Susan, Staff Urologist at the Cleveland Clinic has been recognized as a “Leader in Medicine” among “America’s Best Doctors” for 2017. He will be sharing his knowledge and expertise on benign prostate hyperplasia, prostate cancer, and bladder cancer.
With over two decades of experience in the field of Urology, Dr. Susan offers valuable insight in his role as a Staff Urologist at the Cleveland Clinic. Established in 1921, the Cleveland Clinic serves as multi-specialty non-profit academic medical center. Cleveland Clinic prides itself in being the leader in the community by treating diseases, conducting research and educating the next generation of healthcare professionals.
As a Staff Urologist at the Cleveland Clinic since 2001, Dr. Susan’s day-to-day responsibilities include clinical care with approximately eighteen patients a day with alternating days performing surgical procedures. He specializes in the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia, prostate cancer, and bladder cancer.
In 1970, Dr. Susan earned his medical degree from the University Of Baghdad School Of Medicine, Baghdad, Iraq. To further his professional development, he completed several residencies from 1973-1975 at Hamot Medical Center / St. Vincent Hospital, Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Erie, PA, Children’s Hospital of Buffalo NY, and Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo NY. In 1977, Dr. Susan completed fellowship in kidney transplantation at the Cleveland Clinic. He is American Board Certified in Urology.
Among his many accolades, Dr. Susan has forty-two medical innovations and nine non-medical innovations. His commitment to the field of Urology has resulted in five innovation awards from Cleveland Clinic in 2016 alone.
He maintains affiliation with the American Urological Association. Dr. Susan’s desire to pursue the field of Urology developed after observing a bladder stone extraction in medical school. He attributes his success to the Cleveland Clinic System of Healthcare and the support from his wife of thirty-three years and two sons.
In his free time, Dr. Susan enjoys gardening exercising and listening to the music. He is fluent in Arabic and English.
Looking ahead, Dr. Susan hopes to work in the health system with direct patient care and promoting new ideas to improve patient quality of life.
Share this entry
Staff Urologist at Cleveland Clinic
- Since the inception in 1921, Cleveland Clinic has been committed to not only treating and researching diseases, but educating the next generation of healers. As a nonprofit, multispecialty academic medical center, Cleveland Clinic strives to be a world leader in clinical outcome, research, education and patient experience.
- In conjunction with the Cleveland Clinic, Lerner Research Institute, serves as the forefront of advanced techniques and biological discovery.
- Considered one of the leaders of research in the nation, Lerner Research Institute continues to present opportunities for not only physician’s involvement, but also students and researchers to usher in a new era of personalized medicine.
- Transrectal saturation technique may improve cancer detection as an initial prostate biopsy strategy in men with prostate-specific antigen <10 ng/ml. 2014. PubMed
- Female circumcision: history, medical and psychological complications, and initiatives to eradicate this practice. 2009. PubMed
- Regression of prostatic cancer metastasis by high doses of diethylstilbestrol diphosphate. 1976. PubMed
- Complete duplication of urethra. 1975. PubMed
- Palatal metastases in renal cell carcinoma. 1979. PubMed
- A case of a giant pheochromocytoma. 1977. PubMed