Stephanie Sargent, DO, FACOI, HMDC is recognized by the American Health Council as “Best in Medicine” for her outstanding contributions to the medical field. Currently the Associate Medical Director at VITAS Healthcare in Mount Laurel, N.J., Dr. Sargent educates case managers and facility nurses through patient care and presentations. While she has held her current role for over two years, Dr. Sargent has spent 17 years in the healthcare industry expanding her skills and knowledge in Medicine and Internal Medicine.
Holding a passion and interest in anatomy and human biology, Dr. Sargent first earned a BS in Biology at the College of William and Mary in 1998. She later earned a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2002. She earned her Board Certification in Internal Medicine from the American Board of Internal Medicine in 2015, and recertified successfully in 2015. To diversify her skills, Dr. Sargent later became Hospice Medical Director Certified.
Dr. Sargent established her career at the Kennedy Health System in 2003 as she served as a hospitalist at the institution for seven years. She later spent four years harvesting and strengthening skills in national utilization review, helping physicians with documentation. By 2015, she accepted a per-diem physician role at the VITAS Inpatient Hospice Unit and was later appointed as Associate Medical Director. She is currently serving as Interim Medical Director.
Among her many accomplishments, Dr. Sargent is proud to have been honored as a Fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Internists in 2012. VITAS awarded her with its prestigious Best Physician Award in 2016, an honor she is proud to hold. She is a member of Sigma Sigma Phi — a National Honorary Osteopathic Fraternity — the American Osteopathic Association, the American College of Osteopathic Internists and the Kennedy Health System Credentials Committee.
In her free time, Dr. Sargent enjoys spending time with her family, supporting her children’s sporting events, relaxing, reading, and swimming. With a successful career at hand, she attributes her achievements to her ability to grow in a changing healthcare environment, demonstrating flexibility and strength. She plans to maintain her success by continuing to educate those in the medical field, as well as the public, about hospice and the importance of end-of-life care.
Assistant Medical Director at VITAS Healthcare
- As a pioneer and leader in the Hospice field since 1978, VITAS Healthcare has been the nation’s largest provider of end-of-life care. Deriving from the Latin word for “life”, VITAS promises to preserve the quality of life for those who have a limited time to live.
- Headquartered in Miami, FL with over 15 operating bases in multiple states, VITAS Healthcare is composed of over 11,000 professionals caring for terminally ill patients daily – primarily in the patients’ homes, hospitals, nursing homes, and assisted living communities/residential care facilities.
- Due to their commitment to offering care for all, VITAS Healthcare was instrumental in leading a bipartisan effort to add hospice to the healthcare payment system which has resulted in Medicare paying for hospice services.
- American Osteopathic Association
- The American College of Osteopathic Internists
- Kennedy Health System Credential Committee